Pages

Friday, September 4, 2020

Visual Arts - Photomontage








In the past few weeks in Visual Arts, we have been doing Photomatages that are inspired by Hannah Höch's work. its been fun experimenting with images and combining unusual pictures together to create a piece of art and while making these kinds of art, I realize that art doesn't need to be perfect and clean, it can be abstract and quite messy but still have a deep meaning behind it, even though the meaning that is portrayed by the artist may not be visible in the work of art, the artist might have included it in their own unique way and that's what makes an artwork original.

Here are some of my own artwork/photomontages that were inspired by Hannah Höch's photomontages.




This is an artwork that I called "Hanahaki decease" which means unrequited or one-sided love. When a person experiences one-sided love, he/she will start caughing up flowers but this is only a fictional decease so its nothing to worry about. My art basically represents all the people who have experienced unrequited love and have been badly hurt because of it. This is the only one of my art pieces that actually have a meaningand is one of my favourites.
This artwork doesn't really have a meaning because its the first one that I made. I created this using vintage illustrations and just combining unusual images to create this weird but abstract piece.
I like to call this one "Pine-Melon". It wasn't really an original idea because I saw an example of it before but I did use different fruits which as you can see are a watermelon and a pineapple. I combined this tow images and kind of edited things to fit in the photo. this piece had no meaning to it and I just thought it was funny.

 This is an artwork that also has no meaning but it did represent a bit of nature. While making this art piece I had to edit little bits and pieces to fit one image but everything look like they were supposed to be in one photo and it looked kind of clean which wasn't my gaol since Hannah Höch's work was abstract but still represents a meaning. This was still one of my better works of art because I made something that I can call my original design.




I learn a lot about Hannah Höch and her work and had lots of fun while doing it. I learnt really helpful thing about art which helped me create my own original work. This is the first I created photomontages and I feel proud of what I had done so far but I still want to improve, not just on photomontage but other art techniques and mediums that can help me create more of my own original work.

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Aili

    Thank you for your more comprehensive post about your work. I very much enjoy your imagery and was fascinated and down a proverbial wormhole with Hanahaki... it was very interesting to learn as Manga is quite a new thing for my cultural understanding. Im pleased to read that you enjoyed the topic and that you have four finished pieces of work. Your pie melon reminds me of the chef Heston Blumenthal. Have you seen how and what he cooks? it is very cool! Im looking forward to seeing what we do next with our David Levinthal inspired work, which I think you will enjoy too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aili! What a wonderful blogspost! Your art was really inspiring and meaningful because it shows us different concepts of art. One of the pictures I like the most was the first picture "Hanahaki Disease". Because it was aesthetically pleasing and it showed a story. One of the things you could work one would be proofreading your work. Other than that you have written an incredible post and made impeccable pictures.

    Have a great day!

    - Lyan

    ReplyDelete